Jason Chaput – Camping Memories
EGF Cross Country 1993-1997
Minnesota State 1993-1997
The annual camping trip, as well as the entire summer running program, was always something I looked forward to each year. Even after high school I would come back to run with the younger runners both as a way to help push them to achieve higher goals and to give myself a break from the rigors/stresses of college training while still getting some quality training done. While I will probably show my age by sharing some of my camping memories as I know some of the activities have changed over the years, the absolute best part of camping was getting to know everyone better by kind of isolating and focusing ourselves on each other and running. The teambuilding experience was so strong that even though we don’t all necessarily keep in touch on a regular basis anymore, I felt like everyone was a brother or sister to me and it is a type of bond that I still don’t feel would ever break. I know I would still do anything for those runners that bonded with and I like to believe that they would do the same.
I encourage you all to spend some time talking to some of your teammates that you may not know very well during the camping trip. You might just find that you have a lot in common and I from experience that you will truly appreciate it later in life. Enjoy the week and please feel free to ask Coach or Betty if you want to know more about some of my top memories below as I am sure they can give you some more details, ha ha!!
Top 10 Good, Bad, and Ugly Camp Memories
1. The Frisbee Tournament; still think Coach tried to stack the teams against me each year ;-)
2. Getting Katie Frushour to eat a frog
3. Completing the run around the lake the first time
4. Flashlight tag
5. Late night tent talking
6. Getting shot in the neck during paintball
7. Cooking/eating breakfast at camp
8. Softball game
9. Hitting Betty in the face with a frisbee the first day of my first camp (still feel terrible about this every time I think about it, sorry Betty!!!!!)
10. Chicken fighting in the lake and the sore neck that Lee and I both had for days!